These Prawn, Pea and Coriander fritters are a great little starter or finger food. Fritters are always popular and these are no exception. A bonus is that these ones are so quick and easy to make.
They are full of prawn meat and peas as there is very little flour used in this mix. They can easily be made Gluten Free by substituting the plain flour with GF plain flour.
Simply serve these fritters with your favourite Sweet Chilli Sauce.
So quick and easy which makes for fuss free entertaining!
About The Ingredients
- Prawns – you can use any sized prawns for this recipe, even shrimps. Just make sure you use raw ones.
- Peas – I like to use ‘baby’ peas as they are smaller and sweeter.
- Lime Zest – make sure your lime zest is fine. If your zester produces ‘strips’, then chop them finely, as you want the zest to be evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Flour – use Plain All Purpose Flour, although you can replace with Gluten Free Plain Flour.
- Salt and Pepper – Season your mixture well (see below re: doing a taste test). I like to use freshly ground White Pepper with seafood but Black Pepper is ok to use too.
Method / Tips
This is a very simple and straightforward fritter recipe but here are a couple of tips…
When you whisk the egg whites, you only want them to get to the ‘white and frothy’ stage so a hand-held whisk is all I use. No need to get to ‘soft peaks’ stage for this.
Always do a taste-test to check your seasoning – test by cooking up one fritter first to check for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Remember you can always add more salt but it’s harder to take it away. I always do a taste-test when making any fritter recipe.
- Prawn meat can be chopped a few hours earlier and kept covered in the fridge.
- Defrost peas and keep in the fridge.
- Make the Sweet Chilli Sauce mix (if making) and refrigerate until required.
To Serve / Suggestions
If you’re not a fan of coriander, you can replace with spring onions.
Serve the fritters with your favourite Sweet Chilli Sauce or Aioli. You can also make a Sweet Chilli Mayonnaise which is a 50/50 mix of Sweet Chilli Sauce and Mayonnaise (I like to use Best Foods Mayonnaise). This mix is always popular when I make it.
These fritters are best eaten warm or at room temperature. Try to cook them as close to serving time as possible.
Have you cooked one of my recipes? I’d love you to tag me @katysfoodfinds or #katysfoodfinds!
- 1 cup raw prawn meat chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup frozen baby peas defrosted
- 1 bunch coriander chopped
- 1 long green or red chilli finely chopped
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 eggs
- salt and white pepper
- oil for frying
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites in 2 separate bowls. Set the egg whites to one side.
- Place all the other ingredients into the bowl with the egg yolks and mix together. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the egg whites until fluffy, and gently fold through the prawn mixture.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium/high heat and fry spoonfuls of mixture for 1-2 minutes each side.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce or a 50/50 mix of sweet chilli sauce and mayonnaise.
- Hint: To check for seasoning, I like to fry 1 fritter first and try it. Then I’ll add more salt to the mixture if required.