- 250 g frozen chopped spinach thawed
- 250 g cream cheese room temperature
- 1 brown onion finely diced
- 200 g tasty cheese grated (approx 2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
- ground black pepper 4-5 grinds
- 1 cob loaf approx 450-500g, fresh
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Hollow out the cob loaf by cutting a lid out of the top of the loaf (see photos). Remove the lid and set aside. Using a knife cut around the top of the hole leaving approx 1cm of bread attached to the crust. The best way to remove the rest of the bread is with your hand. Pull out chunks (these chunks can be toasted and served with the dip). Once the loaf is hollowed out, set it aside.
Squeeze out as much moisture as you can from the thawed spinach (I drain it over a sieve and then just take handfuls and squeeze the moisture out). Add the spinach, cream cheese (room temperature), diced onion and grated cheese to the bowl of a food processor. Add the salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Process for 20 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and process again for another 10-20 seconds or until everything is well combined.Spoon the dip mixture into the cavity of the cob loaf. Replace the 'lid' on the cob loaf and place on an oven tray. Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes.Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes. To Serve: Remove the bread lid and place the cob loaf on a serving platter. Scatter crostini or whatever you choose to serve it with, around the loaf.
There are no packet mixes used in this recipe.
All the ingredients are mixed together in a food processor and then put into the hollowed out Cob loaf and baked in the oven.
It is creamy, cheesy and delicious. Make it and watch it disappear!
- Spinach - a frozen 250g pack, thawed and squeeze out as much liquid as possible
- Cream Cheese -softened to room temperature
- Onion - brown, very finely sliced
- Tasty Cheese - grated
- Salt and Pepper
- Cob Loaf - a regular sized round cob loaf (approx 450-500g), hollowed out (save the bread to make breadcrumbs)
Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 340mg | Potassium: 157mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3468IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 203mg | Iron: 1mg